Recumbent Help Guides
Everything you need to know in one resource! Check here often for updates on everything from measuring your x-seam to advice and considerations when choosing a recumbent. Click on any article title for more information.
- Owner's Manual - A collection of links to manufacturer's downloadable Owner's Manuals and technical instructions.
- Recumbent F.A.Q. - Our most frequently answered questions regarding recumbents. A great resource for newbies and 'bent veterans alike!
Installation/Assembly Instructions - Hostel Shoppe exclusive installation and instruction manuals.
- Chain Tube Installation - how to properly install a chaintube and spring clip on your recumbent.
- Recumbent Shipping Guidelines - Wonder what's involved with reassembly when you order a recumbent from the Hostel Shoppe? Here's what to expect.
- Chain Length Adjustment - the proper way to determine chain length on a 'bent with an adjustable boom.
- Front Derailleur Cable - The proper way to route the front derailleur cable when you set up your new bike.
- Tire/Tube Installation - Step-by-step instructions for installing a tire and tube - make sure you catch everything!
- Fender Installation - Step-by-step instructions for installing most recumbent fenders.
- Kickstand Installation - Step-by-step instructions for installing a rear-triangle kickstand on a recumbent.
- Volae Mesh Seat Installation - Step-by-step instructions for installing the Volae Mesh on a Volae seat frame.
- Volae Idler Installation
- X-Seam/Body Measurements - One of the most important measurements to size a recumbent.
- Apparel Sizing Charts - Sizing charts and dimensions for the major apparel brands we offer.
- Kickstand Fit List - recumbent kickstand applications and ratings.
- Fairing Fit List - Figure out which fairing and hardware combination is right for your bike.
- Fairing Care - how to clean up minor scratches in your Windwrap fairing.
- Tire Sizing Explained - What tire size is that, really?
- Chainring Bolt Circle Diameter Measurement - Want new chainrings? You'll need to know your Bolt Circle Diameter (BCD) when ordering.
- Disc Brake Troubleshooting - Your disc brakes started to squeal? Check here for the easy solution.
- Schlumpf Crankset - How to lube (or maintain) a Schlumpf Crankset.
Recumbent Articles - Hostel Shoppe's archive of articles that we've done regarding the world of recumbents.
- Why A Recumbent? (Silent Sports, Part I, March 2000 - Revised January 2011)
- Which Recumbent? (Silent Sports, Part II, April 2000)
- Recumbent Tandems (Silent Sports, Part III, June 2000)
- Testing Recumbents (Silent Sports, Part IV, August 2000)
- Road Tests (Silent Sports, Editorial, August 2000)
- High-tech Trikes (Silent Sports, Tricycle Review, July 2002 - Revised January 2011)
- Tooling Around on Three Wheels (Silent Sports, Editorial, July 2002)